The James Grayson Blog

By December 28, 2018 October 8th, 2019 No Comments

Two brilliant weeks of premiership action


Two weeks ago we travelled to six ways stadium, the home of Worcester warriors to take them on in the Gallagher premiership. This fixture has slightly more spice to it than a usual mid season game. The reason being, Worcester were sat in 9th and we were sat in 8th. The crazy thing about this league at the moment is that there is only 6 points between bottom of the table and 5th place and it seams that everyone is beating everyone. Friday night came around and it was a cold but ultimately dry evening. This is perfect for us as we are a team that is liking to run the ball more so than perhaps kick it at the moment. We started the game well and Dan Biggar kicked a few penalties to give us an early lead. Both teams slogged away but a penalty each way was all that either team got and we entered half time 12-3 up. Straight after half time there was a slight momentum shift with a penalty to Worcester bringing them even closer to our score. Worcester were banging away at us and were camped on our line, until Cobus Reinach produced a bit of magic running 95 meters off and in interception pass. This stretched our lead slightly and with another penalty the game was nearly out of sight. The cherry was put on the cake by Luther Burrell who picked off a Duncan Weir pass to run it in from 60 meters. A 32-6 win on the road meant that we went into Christmas feeling slightly better about ourselves.


The following Friday night came around and Christmas had been and gone and a few mice pies had been eaten. Into town rolled the premiership leaders, Exeter chiefs. This was game was going to be our biggest challenge of the season to date with them smashing saracens the week before. They were red hot favourites and everyone had them winning my 10 points plus. However, this wasn’t to be the case. A world class start with Tom Collins searing through the defence to set up Piers Francis to score under the posts, and a Dan Biggar try meant that we had a 14-0 lead after 7 minutes. All was rosy! Until the Chiefs began their fight back. Before we knew it, it was 14-14. The momentum had swung and chiefs were on top with a pack that was very dominant. This meant that when we had an opportunity we needed to take it. Step up Fraser Dingwall. The 19 year old centre stepped his way through the Exeter defence to score under the posts. With a mammoth defensive set we went into the break 21-14 up and the fight was well and truly on. The second half didn’t disappoint. Exeter scored again to go 21-21 and then a bit of individual brilliance from you guessed it, Cobus Reinach. Meant that we scored to make the score 28-21. Dan Biggar kicked a penalty to take it to a 10 point lead and the saints managed to hold on for a 31-28 win. This was one of the all time great atmospheres I have heard at the gardens and I think it just shows what there is to come from this young hungry group of players. 


This Sunday the wanderers take on Wasps in the A league and look to push on to give ourselves the best chance of a semi final and a chance to win the competition 3 times on the bounce. 


I hope you all have a brilliant new year, and as always thank you for the support.